Friday, December 30, 2011

Happy New Year 2012!

2012, Really? What happened to 2011? I have no idea where this year went, no idea.  This year has been most definitely the fastest, busiest, and most adventurous year of my life. It was this time last year we were trying to decide if we were going to move to Atlanta, and a year later, here to are, getting ready to bring in the New Year tomorrow evening with new friends that we didn't know a year ago, in a new city, new house, new jobs, new everything. It has been an adventure from the start, one of those decisions you make as a family, hold hands, hold your breathe, and jump.. and hope it all works out for the best.

A year later, I don't think either of us have regrets in our decision. We miss our friends, we miss the familiarity of life, traditions and the simplicity of knowing exactly where to go and what to do in Minneapolis, but have also thoroughly enjoyed exploring the south, meeting new friends, and doing this all together, as a family.   Right before I left, a dear friend from Target who I worked with for years, Lisa, gave me a picture frame as a going away gift that said "Family, it's not where you are, or what you do, it is who is beside you that counts". I remember reading it and of course, with a few tears in my eyes, thinking, she is right... this is a perfect way of thinking about it. I have that frame in our family room, and I look at it everyday. It couldn't be more true. Minneapolis, Atlanta, Ohio, Florida.. it doesn't matter, I have an amazing family, and as long as we are together, I don't care where we are. We are so blessed, and so lucky to have each other, out health, and a wonderful life together, I couldn't ask for anything more.  

Over this year last watching out little Hannah and Drew grow up has been an adventure in itself. Hannah is turning 5 in a week. 5!!!  I keep asking her to stop growing but she won't do it. Last night I told her if she promised to at least stay 5 and not turn 6 I would never make her eat broccoli, she agreed :) Hannah is my sweet heart, and has the biggest most sensitive heart for her age I have ever seen. The things that come out of her mouth make me as a parent feel inferior each day. She puts me in my place on a daily basis on what it means to be nice to people you love, share, and play nicely. I couldn't ask for a more amazing little girl. I love her laugh, her one, just one dimple, her innocence and her ability to make Drew laugh and at moment's notice. I love my little Hannah.

And Drew, what can I say about my Drew. He is an adorable, energetic, hilarious little terrible two year old that doesn't listen to anyone. He amazes me each day at his ability to climb, jump, throw the football, tackle, push, bite, pinch and hit just about anything.. with a smile to go with it. He is all boy, and really, just a hilarious little guy. I was at a birthday party with Hannah and few weeks ago and there was a group on moms talking about Drew and didn't know I was him mom. They described him as a "cute, but aggressive little guy". I finally joined the conversation at that point and started out by saying "I am just going to apologize now, I am guessing my Drew has bitten your kids". I tried to make the uncomfortable comfortable. He will out grow this right? I have never seen anyone on America's Most Wanted accused of biting, I am hoping we will be ok :)

Todd and I, we are hanging in there. We work hard, play hard, and try to find for sleep when we can.   We love that we have been able to see friends and family so much more in the last year than we have seen in the last 6 years combined. We love the more frequent weekend getaways, beach trips, and mountains that surround us that we can take advantage of.   We love the BBQ, Whoopies pies, caramel cakes, and ribs they serve here in the south ( Diet starts Jan 2.)  We are finally starting to pull the house together and decorate. We updated a bathroom, refinished wood floors, updated hardware, painted... and the list goes on. Now we just need to hang things on the wall. Anyone that knows us knows that our walls tend to stay bare for longer than they should... we'll get there!

Here's to an amazing 2011, and looking forward to 2012!  Thanks to all our friends and family that were our support team getting us through the decision, the move and the adjustment in Atlanta.   And thanks to our new friends for welcoming us with open arms.

Happy 2012 everyone!!  We wish everyone health, happiness, laughter and love in the new year!!

No comments: