Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Seaside Half Marathon 2015


This past weekend we headed to Seaside, FL with the Jaillet family. Susan, Jason and I were signed up for the half marathon.. 13.1 miles, and everyone else was doing the 5k.   We didn't have the greatest weather, but it didn't stop us from having a fun and relaxing weekend if you consider running a half marathon relaxing :)



BFF's Lila and Hannah who are inseparable.  We stayed at Watercolors resort  and had this awesome beach house. The girl had their own room with a tv. They thought that was pretty darn cool. Drew slept in Todd and I's room on a daybed. He was insisting he did not want to be in the girls room!



All the kids got these frosty snow cone things. These are not your normal snow cones. Susan got a coconut creme pie snow cone that actually was topped with graham cracker crust. It was delicious.  Definitely worth going back to Frosty's again!


Drew was determined to play on the beach. We were all hanging out eating seafood in seaside and he kept running down to the beach, so I naturally would follow.  He looked at me and said "mom, it's cloudy but it is still beautiful, I love it here"  He is just so darn cute sometimes I can hardly stand it.  Then an older guy dressed all nice in slacks and a golf shirt said hi to Drew. This gentleman was missing an arm. Drew said, hey " what happened to your arm? Did a shark eat it in the ocean". I wanted to crawl in a hole. The guy starting laughing and said, well.. sometimes when you get older your arm just falls off. Drew looked so scared, then the guy said - just kidding " yup, a shark ate it"  He was laughing, Drew was scared, I was embarrassed. Thank goodness the guy was so nice and didn't seem to mind Drew's questions.


Finally, on Sunday, we got up at 5:45am for our half marathon and 5k. I started training end of November with 5am workouts at orange theory fitness and only did long runs on the weekends. I wasn't quite following a training plan, but worked out as much as I had time to and hoped for the best.


After 2 hours and 22 minutes of running I crossed the finish line! I hit my goal of 10 min or less per mile ( yup, I am a turtle) and never stopped running except for one bathroom break at the half way mark. It was a flat course, and after training in Atlanta running on hills the flat course was pretty easy.  I felt great until about mile 11, then I was like.. hmmm, legs are getting a little tired?!? :)


Here is Susan and I post race. She is the one that pretty much talked me into this and made me sign up. I am glad she did. It was just the motivation I needed to get out there on a Saturday morning in the rainy cold winter weather and go for a 10 mile run. I know I would not had done it otherwise! Sometimes it is good to have a friend to kick your butt in gear every once in awhile!

I thought I would be happy this was over, but now I feel like I need to set up a new goal. I did realize through this I have no desire to run a full marathon just due to the time it takes to train, but wouldn't mind finding another half marathon to work towards in the future!  We'll see what I can come up with!

No comments: