Thursday, February 21, 2013

Disney/ Florida Weekend Getaway!


Steinemann Family Mickey Mouse Disney Photo! 

Over president's day weekend, school was closed both Friday and Monday, so we took advantage of the time and headed to Disney for a few days. My trip to China paid off as I was able to get free flights, hotel, and car rental with all the points I have racked up with work travel lately. However, even with that, Disney is not cheap. Nothing like $10 popcorn and $7 hot dogs!   Anyway, we had a great time with the kids. I went into the weekend expecting lots of meltdowns and thinking ugh... why do we do this? But the kids were actually great, few meltdowns and lots of family laughs together.    We started Friday at the Magic Kingdom, and spent the whole day there. It was crowded, but at least the weather was some what cool, so we weren't sweating in the heat standing in line, that helps right?



Here we are right after the Jungle boat cruise, which the kids loved.  We made the most of the day, and went on every ride we could. Drew's favorite of the whole day was the fireworks at night, and Hannah;s favorites might be toss ups between driving the race cars, its a small world, and the goofy roller coaster.   Below Todd and the kids are enjoying a nice popcorn and cotton candy break!



The next day we went to Animal Kingdom for the morning. This picture cracks me up as Drew is in the background and looks to be photo bombing Hannah and I's picture!  We went on the safari, which the kids are still talking about. We got really close up to a lot of the animals.



Family photo while we waited in yet another line at Animal Kingdom



After Animal Kingdon, we headed to Hollywood studios for the late afternoon. Drew got to meet his favorite Disney character, Jake from the Neverland Pirates. He was so excited, it was pretty cute.


My loveable little guy ran right up to Mickey and gave him the biggest hug you have ever seen.


And here he is, all smiles. Hannah however, was "too cool" to get her pictures with the characters as she told me "mom.. they are just people in costumes". It broke my heart, as just a little over a year ago she was mesmerized by Rapunzel and all those princesses. How quickly the "magic" dissapears and they grow up.


On Sunday afternoon, we landed in Siesta Key at Grandma and Grandpa's condo for the winter. While we were hoping to sunny skies and 80 degree weather, we got the sunny skies and 50 degree weather with high winds. I don't think the kids really cared, they just wanted to play in the sand and swim.


I don't think Drew ever even got cold since he never stopped moving and was working so hard digging holes and making his little sand creations.


Grandpa did his best to help the kids make their little castles.


Beach picture, really cold and windy! Brrr.


Extra cold and windy! I think this is my only picture with my parents since Todd and I's wedding!


By Monday morning, the kids were ready to hit the pool and beach. It was 42 degrees out. Yes, and we suited up and went swimming in heated pool and hot tub. The kids did not seem to care on bit, and once you were in the water, it was actually quite warm. It was just the splashing and frozen hair that got to you.  Regardless, they loved being at the beach, and since there were not many people there, they could run around a little more free than the spring break busy time.


We never leave the beach without making mermaid tales at some point. They never get tired of it.   It finally warmed up to 70 degrees, and that was out time to go inside and get ready to go back to the airport, which is our luck.


Family Photo!



Deparing photo with Grandma and Grandpa!   We are thankful they allowed us to drop in on their previously quiet vacation until we showed up.  The kids continue to say the beach and visiting grandma and grandpa was their favorite part of the weekend!!


Not to be forgotten, Murphy. No need to adjust your screen or blink a few times, its true, Murphy (who by the way is a boy) is pink. We trusted our dear friends Claudine and Jonas, parents to Hannah's little friends Camden and Alexandra to watch Murphy while we were gone. We should had known they would be up to something when they just insisted on taking him for us. Well, they thought they were really funny when they returned him pink, and in person, I would even say he is a nice shade of hot pink. They apparently gave him a bath in red food coloring.   Todd and I kinda knew we had something coming our way at some point since we decided to cover their yard in pink flamingos one night for fun. Never thought they would turn my dog into a flamingo, but hey, they got creative.

We have all laughed pretty hard about this, I have gotten more facebook requests from neighbors this week than since the whole time I have lived here bc everyone wants to see pictures and have now heard of the infamous Palm vs Steinemann family pranks.   If anyone has any ideas of how to retaliate, send it along!

All in all, we had a great weekend, and truly had wonderful family time together with a lot of laughs. Spending so much one on one time with the kids makes me miss them so much more during the day when I am at work. They are such great kids, with such amazing personalities, I can't get enough of them. I just want to hit the pause button for another year or two so I can continue to enjoy these adorable stages!





No comments: