Thursday, June 24, 2010

I did not take a break.

After a busy, stressful and ordinarily irritating day at work, we pick up the kids, get into the car and head home. I'm in a bad mood after a long frustrating day. Todd is pumping gas, Hannah and Drew are in the back seat. I look back at them and realize I quickly need to shake off the bad mood and leave it downtown, because I am sure to return to it tomorrow. Time to focus on my family, the hugs, giggles and smiles that get me through each day. So, I turn to Hannah and ask her how her day was, the conversation goes like this.

Hannah: Mommy, I did not have to take a break at school today ( take a break means time out)
Mom: Oh, ok... do you normally have to take a break each day?
Hannah: No
Mom: Hannah, are you telling the truth?
Hannah: Yes
Mom: Hannah, lets just talk about it, I won't be mad. Did you take a break today?
Hannah: Yes, I was lying earlier ( I am trying not to laugh)
Mom: Well, what happened?
Hannah: I kicked Elle. My teachers said it did look like an accident, and it wasn't
Mom: ( I am just starring at Hannah, not sure what I am going to say next).......
Hannah: Mom, are you listening, what is your problem, why aren't you saying anything?
Mom: ( I continue to stare... OMG, my 3 yr old just asked me what my problem was?)
Hannah: Mom... hello? (is she 3 going on 13?)
Mom: Hannah, it is not nice to kick friends. Did you say you were sorry?
Hannah: Yes, then we played again. She is still my friend.

And finally, Dad gets back into the car with the full tank of gas. I can't help but to immediately fill him in on the conversation. I crack up that Hannah starts out a conversation with "I did not take a break"... it is like she didn't want me to know but could't quite keep it inside. Funny how kids do that.. I love this funny little stage where they don't quite 100% understand lying or keeping secrets. The things that come up are hilarious each day.

No comments: