Friday, January 8, 2010

Happy 3rd Birthday Hannah!!




3 years ago life was different, I was different, everything was different. I could watch the news and not tear up over a story of a missing or hurt child, because quite frankly, I didn't know what that really meant. I thought a great Friday night was going out with friends and having too many drinks, or snuggling up on the couch with Todd after a really good dinner where you don't see kids at the tables with crayons and spilled milk. I thought the best part of a winter weekend was sleeping in until 9am ( or later) and going straight from the bed to the couch to watch some really good (bad) tv marathons for the day. We both worked way too much, and put too much emphasis on success at work and how that reflectd on who we are.

And today, we have a 3 year old little girl who has rocked our world! From the moment she arrived, we both fell in love, and continue to fall more and more in love with our little girl each day. She has changed some much over the last year, her personality has come to life and she has turned into a little girl. Hannah does not stop talking ( she may have gotten this from the Dice family) and she has a lot to say about everything. The days of manipulating a 2 year old is over, she has gotten too smart for us. She says hilarious things each day, and things that I am constantly surprised by. Yesterday I was trying to get her to finish her banana at breakfast. After going back and forth and her refusing to eat it, Hannah finally said to me "Mom, I don't want to fall asleep. Snow White ate an apple and went to sleep. You keep making me eat this banana so I got to sleep, I will not eat it". I love these kind of conversations we have. However frustrating, it makes me realize how creative and strong willed she is, and I love she has those traits.

I could write for hours about all the funny things she says and does each day, all the things she does that make Todd I just look at eachother and smile, all the moments she makes me proud to be her Mom. I could also write for hours on how much she has learned this year, and just as importantly, all the things Mom and Dad have learned through Hannah about ourselves.... Parenting is an adventure, patience is a virture, and whoever invented the "quiet game" is my hero. To capture to essence of Hannah, I will summarize my hours of thoughts into... she LOVES princesses, she is all girl, loves to dress up, pretend play, bake, play with her girl friends, be silly, play games, being a big sister, and play with Murphy. Hannah is an awesome big sister, I am pleasantly surprised each day how she has never shown any jealousy with Drew. She loves to kiss him, hold his hand, play with him and now goes to visit him at school in his room each day. We are so lucky. Drew is lucky.

In 3 years, we have learned what true unconditional love means, how a great Friday night is quality time with your family, and hoping you enjoy some really good belly laughs from your kids. Sleeping in is a thing of the past, but allows you to enjoy more of your weekend. And success isn't determined by your last promotion, but the happiness of your family.

Hannah had a great start to her birthday weekend yesterday. We celebrated in the morning with a powdered doughnut, balloons and her favorite present from Grandma and Grandpa, a princess doll set. We ended the evening with pizza and more presents. Tonight Eleanor and Bella are coming over to play and tomorrow is her party at build a bear. Should be an action pack birthday weekend of fun.

Happy Birthday Sweetheart. We love you to the moon and back! We hope you enjoyed your special day, and we thank for you bringing joy and happiness to our lives. We love you sweetie!! Happy 3rd Birthday!

XOXO
Mom, Dad, Drew & Murphy.



No comments: