Friday, June 24, 2016

Mt Bethel Pirates Swim Team


It's been another fun summer of swim team! Drew is swimming in the 6u group and Hannah swims in the 9-10 age group. Both kids have done great. They don't always enjoy getting up in the morning for practice, but they seem to enjoy the meets and playing with the friends once they get there.

Luckily one of the parents on the team spends about 99% of the time at the meet taking pictures of all the kids. All the parents have to volunteer and I usually end up a timer so I don't have time to take the pictures myself, so this is helpful!! For 6u boys the only events they can do are the 25 free style, 25 freestyle relay and the 25 backstroke. Drew is currently undefeated for the season and has gotten 1st place in every single race he has swam. Way to go Drew. He is a rock star of a swimmer. His 25 free time is actually better than all the 7-8 boys and second place ranked for 9-10 boys. If he actually liked the sport he would be great at it, but has no interest at this point. He is really in for the candy at the swim meets and running around playing with his friends, which honestly at this age is what it should be!


Hannah has been swimming the 100IM, 50 free, 25 back, and the relays. She has done well but has lost a little of her spunk from last season. There is a big different from swimming year round then taking a winter off. Hannah does love the meets and summer swim but has not interest in doing year round swim again. Honestly, I am just fine with that as I have no interest in spending my weekends at swim meets. But if she changes her mind, I will happily do it.

 An action shot of Drew in his 25 free

Action shot of Hannah getting ready to do 100IM.

I am sure the kids will do this again next summer. Once Hannah gets to 11-12 age group I think it may end up being harder to convince her of summer swim. But for now, it's fun, good exercise and all their friends are there with them.   One more meet left in the season and we are done!

No comments: