It's been a long time since I did a blog update!! Too long. I have not forgotten to update, just have not had a lot of free time to sit down! Memorial day weekend was a rough one for us. Murphy, Hannah, Drew and I took a walk to the park in our neighborhood and long story short, Murphy got attacked by a huge dog that was part Rotwieller and part Lab. It was over a 100 lb dog, and pick Murphy up by the neck and starting shaking him back and forth. Needless to say, the kids and myself were hysterical. The parents of the other dog jumped on their dog to free Murphy and from there we got him straight to the dog hospital. Murphy wasn't walking and we didn't know what would happen. He spent the night there and was able to come home the next day to start his recovery. Below is Hannah laying next to Murphy, never leaving his side that first day home.
That first night home was rough. Real rough. He still wasn't walking or moving and it was a wait and see situation. I stayed up all night with Murphy as he was having breathing problems and shaking all night. My little alb dog laid on my chest all night like a little newborn. While I loved the cuddles, my heart was breaking for our little guy. The next morning full of tears I asked Todd to bring Murphy to the vet and decide what to do. I couldn't even be there for what I thought was going to be the inevitable. Sure enough, Todd brings him to the vet and starts sending me pictures of Murphy getting a massage and acupuncture. I laughed and smiled thinking ok, we are not giving up.
Sure enough, a little massage and acupuncture helped our little guy. He has been on the road to recovery every since and gets better each day. His walking is still not 100%, but he seems to get around well for the first half of the day and definitely starts to wear down by late afternoon and evening and the limping starts again. We are going to keep making sure he gets rest. We got out the kids old pack n play and put a huge pillow in it. He stays in there a lot to keep him from walking too much, doctors orders.
We love our little Murphy and cannot imagine life with out our little Murph. Hannah cried herself to sleep the first few nights so upset with what happened. Drew cried for the first day and by day 2, Drew looks at Hannah and I as I am hugging Hannah as she cried and says "Mom, I have an idea. Lets go get another white maltese and name him Murphy, then we can just act like this never happened". I looked at him in awe. Hannah starting laughing and I thought hmmm, he is just a typical guy or just creative. Not sure which.
For now, Murphy isn't going anywhere. He will be 10 years old this fall and we hope he has another 10 years in him. We will nurse him back to health and love him like no family has ever loved their dog :) Keep fighting Murph!



No comments:
Post a Comment