Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A New Adventure

The decision has been made. After almost 13 years in Minnesota, I am saying good-bye. With many mixed feelings of sadness and excitement, we are entering a new chapter of our lives moving to Atlanta, Ga. While this has been the hardest decision of my life at to this point, I know that it won’t be the hardest thing I ever experience. I am lucky and grateful for that, and that fortunate that my future is filled with opportunity for me, for us, for our family.

Throughout the journey I continue to reflect back to my move from Ohio to Minnesota. What I was feeling, why I made the decision, how I was going about it. Why was it so much easier to pick up my life at 22 years old, move 1000 miles away and not know a single person in the entire state of Mn than to take this new journey with support and love from my family today. I remember being 22 and wanting a new experience in life, a little adventure, and to just plain prove to myself that it was something I could do on my own. And, let’s face it, in the back of my head a little voice was telling me, if I fail, I know Mom and Dad will always be there for me. I knew I had the support and love from my family to take this adventure on. So I did.

This little adventure at 22 years old was without saying, the best decisions of my life. Not only did Minnesota bring me to meet my husband and later my two most precious gifts, Hannah and Drew, but it gave me confidence in a successful career, sense of independence, and a different perspective on the lifestyles, surroundings, and knowing how much there is to offer in life. I have met many, many amazing people, friends that have become family to me. Friends that know me better than I know myself. Friends that know when I need a hug or a funny joke to lift my spirit. Friends that accept me as I am, laugh with me and at me, and I know will forever be in my life. You know who you are, and I love you, and thank you.

So, it’s almost 13 years later and here we are. Heading south. Trading in winter coats for flip flops. “Hotdish” for Grits, and Minnesota Nice for Southern Charm, and last but not least, A Bullseye for an Orange Apron. Over the last 13 years, I grew up. I’ll be honest, the adventure I was seeking at 22 has been replaced with the desire for security and comfort in life, friendships that I don’t want to replace, and a job that I came to love that became harder to leave than I ever imagined. But all the wonderful advice from family and friends, and sole searching over the last few months made resonated with me in different ways. I came to the realization that if security and comfort was always the right answer, I would had never taken this adventure to MN, and look at what I would had missed. When Mom asked me “ what happened to my little girl that was full of adventure and wanted to move to NYC”.. I asked myself… “What the hell did happen to me?” She was right. ( Hard for me to admit). So here we go. Throwing caution to the wind with the possible obstacles that lie in front of us, focusing on the positive, the opportunity, and future.

Here’s to you Minnesota! Thank you for 13 great years. A journey, an adventure, and a time in my life I will always cherish and will forever be grateful for.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

sniff, sniff. I will miss you TONS, but am so excited for you guys. YOu have been a great coworker, boss and most importantly, a great friend through the years. Good luck, stay strong and if you need a shoulder or an ear...mine are always here for you! Hot-lanta or bust!!