Friday, May 28, 2010

License to Parent...

I have always been a firm believe that there should be licenses granted for people to be parents. There are people out there that flat out should not be raising kids. Today, I was one of them. I think my license would have been revoked. It started as a family outing to Bachman's, the local gardening store. It was a nice beautiful Friday evening, Todd and I were trying to figure out what flowers to plant in the front of our house. Drew was his sweet smiley self in the stroller, and Hannah was sitting on the flower cart as Todd pushed her along. We had most of our flowers, and we were headed into the hanging pot section. There he/ she was... Saturday Night Live fans would had called "Pat". All of the sudden, Hannah yells.... "Mom, Dad.. is that a boy or girl". Pointing the the woman who we are now referring to as Pat. I am walking behind Todd and Hannah pushing Drew along as I look up, thinking.. maybe she didn't hear her. Hannah yells even louder "is that a boy or girl". I start to smirk, Todd is walking faster and faster with the flower cart... Hannah yells again really loud... "Is it a boy or girl?" People stare, I am in a corner keeled over laughing so hard I can barely stand. Todd tries not to laugh, has a smirk on his face giving me the look of ... please pull yourself together, you are embarrassing.

A good parent would had some who corrected the situation, relieved themselves and the surrounding shoppers of the akward embarrassment. I on the other hand, thought it was hilarious and did not turn this into a teaching moment.. rather laughed hysterically while people starred at me, not Hannah, me.

In the end, our dinner conversation with Hannah did turn into a talk about how it is not nice to ask people if they are a boy or girl, because it wouldn't feel good if someone asked you if you were a boy right? Maybe I will get my license back after all :)

No comments: