Today we went to Lake Lanier Islands Resort about 45 minutes north of Marietta. It was probably the prettiest day we have had since moving here... 85, sunny, clear skies and light breeze. I forgot how perfect 85 can feel when 95 degrees, 95% humidity, smog alerts and high levels of mosquitos has been the weather as of late. Lake Lanier is beautiful, and just what the doctor ordered! I have been missing my Mpls lakes, missing a little serenity outside of work, traffic, and strip malls here in Atlanta. This was perfect.
We will definitely going back here, maybe stay for a weekend and make the most of it. It is a gorgeous lake and they have camping, horse back riding, golf, waterparks, beaches, restaraunts and all kinds of good things! I generally would hear this kind of description and think.. of cheesy tourist stuff. But it was full of nature, gorgeous waters, white sand, and a ton of boats on the water.. it felt like a mini vacation for the day.
Not surprising, but Drew had a great time. He loved the sand the most and what did he love second most... the wave pool! We didn't get any pictures of the kids in the wave pool, better time spent holding their hards keeping them upright rather than snapping a photo. Hannah was "jumping waves" and since Drew does everything Hannah does, he was jumping waves too. They loved it and could had spent all day in that pool. Or has Drew called it "bigg wape pooool".
And little miss Hannah had a ton of fun... building sand castles, jumping waves, swimming with fish in the lake ( she saw some minnows and said she was brave).
A perfect family day and we are looking forward to going back and bring some visitors with us... hint hint, you know who you are...
And besides all the fun in the sunshine, we are staying busy. We are excited that we are starting to make a few friends and our social life here is coming along. And funny enough, our closest friends here are all related to Target or Minneapolis. Maybe we have not branched out quite yet to the "southern folk" but we'll get to know them real soon I am sure. We love that Jen and Kurt moved here too, and we have met another couple that just moved here from Mpls, with kids the exact same ages as ours. We have met some friends through daycare too, with another Target association of a friend I used to work with through Target baby days at Graco. Small world and apparently more people than just us that wanted to get out of the cold!
We do miss our friends in Mpls dearly. Not a day goes by that I don't think about all of them, and wish they could explore Atlanta with us. It still feels a little surreal that this is permanent, and not a vacation that I can return to the life that knew for the last 13 years. I miss the familiarity of surroundings, friendships, and serenity of driving along Long Lake to work each morning, with the sun hitting the lake in that special way that make the water sparkle, it always made the drive to and from work relaxing and took a little stress away... (instead of adding stressing in 7 lanes of traffic along I75.) I miss being able to go for a run around a lake, that is also a flat running course. (Has anyone ever tried to run the hills of atlanta?... omg.. I last about half the distance and time with those hills... killer) I could go on and on about all the things I miss...but really it comes down to my friends. I miss my friends, a lot. I have learned from my move from Ohio to Minnesota, and now to Georgia, best friends don't have to be physically present, because they are always in your heart and a phone call, webcam chat or even an airplane ride away. It can make it easier, but it still hurts.
So, hugs from Atlanta to all my friends that I am missing so much. Come visit soon :)

No comments:
Post a Comment