Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Hannah's First Day of School



Monday was Hannah's first day at daycare! She did well, better than mom did! As Mom had to return to work, which was a very sad day... Hannah began a new adventure meeting lots of new friends and leaning to adapt in a new environment. There are 12 infants in her room with three teachers. Her teachers seem friendly and said that Hannah had a bit of a rough first day crying a lot and wanting to be held all day, which broke mom's heart. Sad to bring her back on day two, I was happy to learn that she had adjusted a little better.. she ate better and napped better, and was a little more independant. Apparently she loved those buggy rides through the skyways of minneapolis. I think all the adults working downtown get as big of a kick out of those buggy rides as the kids do. You can be stressed out walking from meeting to meeting then all at once you see a buggy of 6 little infants and toddlers just taking the world in with out a care in the world - and all of the sudden life gets put into perspective all over again. You just can't help to stop in smile. So now I can look forward to my walks between Target buildings in hopes I get to pass Hannah in the skyway on her daily stroll.
As Hannah learns to make the daily adjustment into daycare, Mom and Dad are learning how to make the change as well. All the of the sudden mornings and evenings need to become more time efficient. Make bottles, clean bottles, do laundry, fold laundry, pay bills, play with Hannah, feed Hannah, love Hannah.. oh yeah, and try to relax and have a little time for yourself and each other at the end of the day. I am tired just thinking about it. A new found respect for all working mom and dads... and just last week I had a new found respect for stay at home moms. I have realized you can't "win" in the battle of life balance. You do your best and try to make the best decision for your family and pray to god every night that you are making the right one. Either way, it isn't easy and I am sure there will always be regrets.
Three months into parenthood has already put all new meaning into life. All of the sudden life isn't about you anymore, nor do you want it to be. It becomes about the happiness of yor child. When she is happy, I am happy, when she is unhappy, I am broken hearted. And just when I thought those teenage years we all had to survive were an emotional roller coaster... parenting has that beat!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It will get better, then worse, then better (do you see a pattern) - and then one day you'll be parenting that teenager and hoping then that you made good decisions early on! I'm sure you guys are going to do great!