When you work for Home Depot, you are bound to get the itch to update a few things in your home. You sit in all the meetings discussing the "DIY" ( Do it yourself ) customer and finally you think, huh, I am going to try that myself. For better or worse, you give it a whirl.. and when the going gets tough, you call a contractor. We have worked on two projects over the last 2 months. The powder room off the kitchen started with me stripping wallpaper while Todd was at the FL vs GA football game which quickly turned into a contractor phone call.. which in turn also ended up with some newly refinished wood floors that weren't part of the original plan, but love them all the same.
POWDER ROOM - BEFORE
POWDER ROOM - AFTER
We still have some finishing touches, like hanging something on a wall, which we all know is a struggle for us. One day, we'll get there.
And then there's the laundry, now mudroom. I have wanted to update this since we moved in. It is right off the door when you come in from the garage and ends up as the drop zone. Shoes, book bags, laptop bags, coats.. you name it. All of which I would trip over every time I needed to do laundry. I spend more time in this room than anywhere else in our house, sadly... and I wanted an update and got quotes from the contractor that finished out bathroom and it was too much to spend on a laundry room. So Todd said he was up for a challenge. Anyone that knows me knows that I am not a big fan of Todd taking on projects in our house. I generally get the, "sure, I can get that done in a few weekends" , turns into 6 months later. This conversation started Saturday mid day last weekend and he said he could finish by midnight Sunday night, and under a $300 budget. He was going to prove me wrong. Well, he proved me right... but he work his tail off and did an unbelievable job. Day 2 of the project he also managed to fall down the stairs going to the garage and sprained his ankle. He is now in a half cast and crutches... but he perservered and still worked hard to get the job done as promised. We still have finishing touches to go.. switch plates, a little more paint, and a few shelves to put in a cabinet. But we are up and running and now highly organized. I couldn't be happier.
LAUNDRY ROOM - BEFORE
LAUNDRY/ MUDROOM - AFTER
OUR CONTRACTOR - AFTER
I am pretty proud of Todd. He did a great job and a finally got the mudroom I have always wanted for the last 5 years and he even kept to the $300 budget, impressive! Every since having kids, when your "stuff" just starts accumulating I have been a space to get all the "stuff" out of the way. Sad how excited I get about organization.
Sunday night, and we rest. Getting ready for another week ahead. Not a restful weekend by any means. We were up painting until almost 1am each night, not a lot of sleep, a lot of hard work, but feels good to get a few things accomplished. It only took us a little over 8 months living in our house to have a free weekend to get things done. I look forward to having a few more quiet weekends ahead for work travel picks up again. Ahhh..




No comments:
Post a Comment